Sunshine Coast Hockey Association
The Sunshine Coast Hockey Association was formed in 1949 comprising of three women’s teams with games being played at Nambour Showgrounds. In 1972, the Sunshine Coast Men’s Association affiliated with the Queensland Hockey Association (now Hockey Queensland).
With the increase of player numbers, playing fields were established at Caloundra and Kawana. In February 1978, the Men’s and Women’s Associations were amalgamated to form the Sunshine Coast Hockey Association. 1982, a centralised player base was established at Ballinger Park, Buderim, incorporating six fields.
Teams from Caboolture, Wamuran and Noosa joined the Association in 1986 and 1987 respectively, further strengthening hockey on the Sunshine Coast. Over the past years, international tournaments have been conducted successfully at Ballinger Park.
The Sunshine Coast Hockey Association has witnessed tremendous growth in player strength over recent years with players competing in 64 teams (comprising approx 700 players) in the 2000 season. Both senior and junior players within the association have attained representative honours for District, State and National teams.